Skip to main content

Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow




Certain books are like writing prompts. Like this one. So here we go. Finally I am writing a book review.

It is a book on an unlikely love between two nerds Sadie and Sam. Am pretty sure the Sam character is modelled after the writer Gabrielle Zevin.

What I liked about the book:

  1. Gamer/Programmer persona: I like how Zevin got into the mindspace of the gamer protagonists. I felt while reading the book that I was listening to real conversation between engineers. Specifically the retro tech space. I am pretty sure she did a ton of research on it.
  2. Character arc of Sam Mazer: I love the psychology of Sam. I loved how Sam grew during the course of the novel. In very small yet telling ways. I liked and empathised with Sam's early wounds and how those early wounds became a defining characteristic and a fundamental character flaw. I love how during the course of the novel (during the course of his life), he slowly moved towards healing those wounds. (I wonder who is the Marx in my life - that near perfect antidote for Sam who heals just through his constant presence and his eventual absence)
  3. Creating and maintaining the gentle romantic tension between Sam and Sadie: At the end of the day, this is a book about love. May not be a book on romance. But still love novels get icky for me sometimes. But this book was not icky for me. (I wrote the word icky and checked google if this was a real word. It was. "Distastefully sentimental". Spot on. Moving on.) I love this love between those bunch of engineers. I also love the way, the relationship of Sam and Sadie was left in an open-ended way.
  4. Hope in the midst of suffering, pain, foolishness and frailty of life: Parts of the book are dark. Parts of the characters are dark. But i love how there is a constant haunting of hope in every page. I adore the fact how Zevin has appropriated the gloomy words from Macbeth "Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow" into something more hopeful. The endless leases of life in the game character. You can die in a game but you can always restart the level. There is always tomorrow.

Postscript:

The book was a sudden trip back to my coding days. And strangely I felt the need to start coding again. In fact some of my major coding projects were done during college (just like the protagonists who wrote their first runaway success Ichigo during college). I remember my first major game that I was proud of. It was an ambitious Tetris games in DOS. It was a game that I could play and entertain myself. If you keep playing till the scores hit INT_MAX, the game crashes. I left this bug as-is as I thought that this constitutes a primitive Easter Egg. I was stupidly competitive and naive. But I was also good. But it was during those games that I had felt that I could feel the rough edges of a craft. The craft of Coding and computers was in some way forced upon myself. But this was a craft meant for me. I always loved Maths and Logic and this helped me in learning it and exercising the craft. It also fed my fiercely competitive spirit. If not for my classmates who pushed me when they themselves undertook significant projects, I don't think i would have done many of these projects.

I feel too many of us work hard but the work sometimes is not creative. As in it is not a craft. Especially when you move to management, the whole work is about orchestration and less about the actual/final craft. Like what did you actually build with your own hands? Organising meetings and sending minutes don't count. Or maybe they do. I am introspecting my work in Isha where all I did was mid-level management. Maybe there is something creative about creating a team and getting them to work towards one goal and keeping the machine running. Maybe management is also a craft.

Nevertheless, I have an idea for a simple app that I want to start using myself. They say right, that you should be your own first user.

I suddenly remember that I do not have the original Tetris game that I wrote. I wrote it on then-state-of-the-art desktop computer that Jeyamma had brought for me. It was a Pentium with 64 MB RAM and 4 GB hard disk. I would have loved to compile the original code and play it once more till the score hits INT_MAX. Alas, the game (along with several essays that i wrote) is gone in those pre-cloud sands of time.

<Stream of consciousness ends>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotel California

I was dropping off S for one of her meetings. The conversation meandered into how some of our volunteer friends were talking about me leaving IYC. S was observing that we would have never got married if I was not a Isha teacher at that time. She also observed how my deciding to move to Blore was kind of thrust upon her. It was a fair observation yet painful for me to hear it. At some point, I felt the need to justify/explain/clarify that i am a seeker. Still a seeker. After I said it, I felt a moment of pause within me. Am I a seeker? I felt embarrassed that I have to claim me being a seeker in so many words. Am I really a seeker? What does being a seeker mean? Does it mean that I should be living in an ashram? Does it mean that I need to work 100% and more towards a larger-than-life goal? Does it mean that I am checking out of "Hotel California" ? i.e. I am done with the world and ready for something else? Does it mean to live a constant affirmation that I may not know every

The Atlas of My heart - Belonging

Last weekend, I drove 800 Kms for nothing. This is hard to explain to myself. It is harder still to write about it. It's been a week since September 23rd. That time of the year in the Isha Calendar when a kind of gathering happens around the Master. It is called Lap of the Master. I wanted to participate in it. At least I thought as much. So somewhat mechanically I made plans to reach in time and participate. However on the morning of the event, I found myself waking up in my ashram cottage and unable to find a reason to go to the event. I really don't know what was behind this sudden onset of Tamas . Almost as if to justify my unwillingness to get up, my mind is trying say that it is because of the crowd etc. But for whatever reason, I felt like not going to the event. I rather be curled up in my bed and read what I was reading. Over the next few hours, I felt a gnawing sense of disconnect and disconcert. This lead me to search for a word of what I was going through. I think t

"My Devi bleeds Mathemathics"

One of the reasons why I buy physical copies of certain books especially of Osho and Sadhguru is that I want the reading to be a multi-sensory experience. The words take my being to soaring heights but yet it is untouchable and ungraspable. So in an attempt to touch the untouchable, I thumb through those glorious words on the pages to feel that same experience that the Master talks about. I occasionally bury my head in the open book to smell that fleeting fragrance and the embrace of the Master. My current predicament is that I want to distance myself from the flesh-and-bones and the brick-and-mortar aspect of Isha and still experience the magic of Isha. And still be open to Grace. It is like just wanting to have a nice meal at a restaurant without wanting to go to the kitchen and seeing the chaos backstage. The reason for choosing to live outside IYC is the fact that I had irreconcilable differences within me. I thought one uses the word 'irreconcilable differences' to explain