Skip to main content

Revisiting America

I have been open about my obsession with America. I recently visited US after 7 years. Revisiting US was like discovering an old T-Shirt which was hiding at the bottom of your wardrobe for many years - feels alien initially but then it fits like a glove but then again, you sneer at your own juvenile fashion choices.

I feel I resonate with US because it has some of the growing pains and dual identities that I have. It was interesting to see how some of my reactions to it have changed over the years. In a way, revisiting was an act of looking yourself into a time-machine mirror - feeling and juxtaposing your feelings with what you felt so many years ago. I went to the US for the first time in 2005 when i was a graduate hire for  Microsoft. Its been almost 20 years since i first set foot in the US. So a few things changed.

  1. America's juvenile antics amuse me less and less - I feel so sad/ridiculous that a country supposed so far ahead on so many things can get such basics twisted around - especially heart broken on how their healthcare system is so broken - I heard about how Matthew Perry's doctor is getting tried for allowing his patient to get hooked on some drug etc.
  2. The Brownies have arrived - Indians have truly arrived and have shown that they can be the more American when it comes to work ethic than all its other national constituents. The last time I visited, Indians primarily constituted the coding class in Seattle/Bay area. But now they are in senior leadership and investment community ubiquitously. 
  3. America is Great - This young land freshly stolen from the Natives is still awesome. Nature's bounty is too much and lies protected and celebrated by its conquistadors.
Some other random thoughts:
Every pacific sunset tells me about the slow and inexorable change all around us - we are all growing old. My friends are growing old - their children too.  Our time at Earth is reducing day-by-day. We cannot take any day for granted. This is the day - this is the Life - Life is happening now and will not be postponed for some mythical milestone sometime in future - it is happening right now as we think and plan for it. I stopped at so many places while driving down US 101 highway to see these epic sunsets. The sudden dramatization of life moving on made me aware of my breath - I effortlessly went into meditation - it was a trance aided by the sudden feeling of urgency.

I am in my flight back to Bangalore. I was looking at the in-flight GPS application - We were flying over the Af-Pak border. I suddenly realized about the first international flight that i took - It was a singapore airlines - It had some crazy number of hops from Hyderabad to Seattle - Specifically, those days, airlines used to take the scenic route covering cities such as: Chennai, Singapore, Tokyo, Los Angeles and finally Seattle. I remember the kid-in-the-candy-store moment. I was not bothered one bit about the constant changeovers and the wierd foods being served. Everything was imbued with childlike curiosity and fascination. I distinctly remembering scorching my mouth by ingesting an inordinate amount of Wasabi. I shudder at a possibility of a similarly long flight - and i shudder also at this tiny loss of innocence.

Subverting cliches by having Iced tea in a coffee shop in Seattle

Waiting in downtown Bellevue for my friends

It's the Land of the Brave


Traded Chevy classic from 2005 to Chevy Camarro in 2024


"One touch of Nature makes the whole world Kin"


California Dreamin'


Bliss on the Beach


Mexican food


SF Vibes




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotel California

I was dropping off S for one of her meetings. The conversation meandered into how some of our volunteer friends were talking about me leaving IYC. S was observing that we would have never got married if I was not a Isha teacher at that time. She also observed how my deciding to move to Blore was kind of thrust upon her. It was a fair observation yet painful for me to hear it. At some point, I felt the need to justify/explain/clarify that i am a seeker. Still a seeker. After I said it, I felt a moment of pause within me. Am I a seeker? I felt embarrassed that I have to claim me being a seeker in so many words. Am I really a seeker? What does being a seeker mean? Does it mean that I should be living in an ashram? Does it mean that I need to work 100% and more towards a larger-than-life goal? Does it mean that I am checking out of "Hotel California" ? i.e. I am done with the world and ready for something else? Does it mean to live a constant affirmation that I may not know every

Shringeri

You are my baby sister that I never had. You are my daughter that I will never father.. You are my mother that I had lost forever… Let the throes of my folly remind.. Let the rapture of your embrace sustain… The scheming vagabond that I am, For all my incessant intellection, You are the perfect foil…                      The cool breeze that sweetens the long toil.               How did you smite me? I know not. The unruly curls of your tresses – a part of your plot? What happens now… Now that I have decided to partake in this little game? Your bewitching mane.. Will I ever tame? How long will I be absorbed in the uncharted crevices of your body? Comfortably numb, Will I fall on my face? Let the throes of my folly remind..                                   Let the rapture of your embrace sustain… -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting married tomorrow. It is happening finally. It

Himalayan Memoirs: Anbe Sivam

Prelude:  The following was written almost 5 months into my self-imposed exile. It was written while I was staying in an ashram in a small village called Ganeshpur somewhere in the upper reaches of Tehri Garhwal . I spent my time working in the kitchen as a self-appointed cook. ------------------------------------------------------------------ It was a rare moment. Rare indeed is a moment when you clearly realize that you have lost it. It was almost 5 months since I have been off the grid. The first 4 months were really good. I had fun. I had very little money and hence for the first time in my life, I am constantly thinking about money and rationing it. But I liked it as a novelty. Physically also, it was very difficult but I liked to push myself more and more. But most importantly, my sadhana was really good. I meditated like never before. But a variety of circumstances made me impatient and eventually pissed me off. I was no longer fine with just living not knowing wh