So I recently jumped ship.
Meaning I moved teams internally at Salesforce. I was not explicitly looking for a change. I was actually quite comfortable in my previous role. In fact, the product I helped launch is growing and shows a lot of potential. But when an opportunity came up on a different team, one that promised newer challenges and a lot of learning, I made the call to join.
What surprised me was how quickly I decided. I took just a weekend. But truthfully, a voice within me had already said yes while my manager was still explaining the proposed role.
I find myself asking: how come I said yes so soon? Do I not like my role anymore? I thought I did. Why did I jump so quickly? Was I always, subconsciously, waiting to walk away from a product I had so lovingly created? Was I always waiting to leave my role, maybe leave it all?
Anyway. Moments like this reveal what motivates me about my work. Here are a few things I could think of.
Mostly, I love the act of showing up and doing a good day's work. There is something fulfilling about winding down the day exhausted. I used to believe I was working towards some kind of career achievement or financial milestone. That is certainly part of the equation. But as I grow older, I have noticed, with relief, that I am enjoying the journey, and that the journey itself has become a reward of sorts. Trite as this sounds, there is a big difference between mouthing those words and living them.
Document AI (my previous role) was a great introduction to building products with GenAI. Coworker (my new role) is about scaling the ambition of what you can build with this technology. I am curious about all the moving parts of making Coworker happen, and I am excited to give my curiosity free rein.
Finally, I think I am excited about change itself. Just the act of getting into a new team — new people, new culture, new challenges — excites me. It makes me feel alive. I want to enjoy the beginner's mind that comes with the first few days of a job. I look forward to asking stupid questions unapologetically, without the need to sound smart or informed all the time.
S finds this youthful enthusiasm naive and cute. I think it is my superpower. Involvement is my Superpower.
A sober part of me notices that the "2.5-year curse" is holding strong. I've noticed that I rarely stay in one situation for more than two and a half years. Something or other happens and I jump ship. Most of the time it happens smoothly, but sometimes dramatically.
I wonder what other cycles are churning within, unbeknownst to me.
Comments
Post a Comment