Skip to main content

Reflections on Sandekphu and Salesforce

So I just reached back to Bengaluru and I keep thinking perhaps this is a good moment to write something. Some kind of mental snapshot is warranted.

I am hoping to join a new company - Salesforce after working in Visa for just 1.5 years. I just completed another trek - some 80 kms walk in the park. During the trek, I wrote down a bunch of mental sticking points and the advantage of having such a list is to see which one of them are perhaps temporary and which ones might stick around for sometime and haunt one.

During the trek, I kept reminding myself that I should not fixate on the destination - that lofty peak or that supposedly pretty valley. The trek itself was the prize that I have earned. And the one that I wanted to celebrate. And celebrate is the right word for it. There is nothing that comes close to describing what it was. Just stretching the body and mind and asserting its capabilities. During those walks, I got reminded of Illayaraja's song "Pitchai Pathiram" from the spine chilling movie "Naan Kadavul". Rams explained some years ago that the "begging bowl" mentioned in that song actually refers to one's body. And I got reminded of this metaphor while walking as i realized that it is the body which is the actual vehicle for this trek. All the trekking gear are useful yet frivolous accoutrements. And what is true for the trek is also true for the life in general.

Thinking about this "celebration" part, I have been aware of a tendency of mine to hyper-fixate on some destination - on some outcome. And this has served me very well. I am quite proud of some of the results of these fixations - both to myself personally and to the small part of the world I think I can influence. But i know that this fixation is just a device and sometime i lose sight of the utter meaninglessness of the said outcome. In the recent past i have been influenced by probabilistic thinking and Bhagavad Gita's retort of focussing only on the action and not the fruits. All of these somehow came together alive in this trek.

And i was loving the way my body was responding to the challenge. I have been trying to restart Hata yoga practice and the impact of all that hata seemed evident. Pain was there. Challenges were there but the body persisted. Perhaps the best way to describe the exuberation of finding one's body raise up to a challenge is to find that at the end of a long day of trekking, i realized that i can go through it all over again. And when i twist my body next morning in those cyclical Surya shaktis, it does not complain much. Incredibly i was able to keep up my hata yoga practices through out the entire trek. This involved me doing yogic contortions in a shephard's hut to the utter bewilderment of those said yak shephards. And Yak calves are the cutest. It all reminded me of my trek in Uttarakhand..

These are small silent victories that I console myself with.

There are those other victories which are simple and fundamental but i am not sure they are small. Those are those tiny moments of meditation and awareness. Sometimes those moments of awareness are moments of freedom - sometimes they are moments of pause and painful introspection. I feel if there was something close to what i can call it "earning it", it would be those moments.

I want to sink into these moments of acknowledgement of what i have earned and what i actually value as i step into another trek - the one involving me being yet again a paid coolie to yet another American corporation.


Why do I always seem to be wearing SWAGs from ex-employers?

Why can't rest of India be as clean as Sikkim?

Trekking on the Phalut circuit..


The only red panda that i saw on the trail..
I get reminded of my receding hairline when i think of my unlikely friend.

Sometimes i wonder what did we do to deserve this?
This color schema and the aesthetic speaks to me.


Sikkimese cuisine is alien at the same time so amenable to Indian pallette. (Nimtho)
Sikkim is full of bridges broken by some previous year's monsoon.

Notice the trek's afterglow..

Not a Mac wallpaper..

Suddenly i am noticing Morrocan tiles wherever i go.


Monday morning Hustle..

Loved those small touches from Gangtok Municipality..


Not Switzerland but Rammam/Gorkhey in Sikkim..

What to do, sometimes cliches are awesome!


Happy to be alive..


Gorkha people have a good horticultural sense..


Getting lost in Gangtok's lal market

Gangtok's pedestrian avenues - more of this please..


Furry friends..


Airbnb hosts are the new "rail sneham" people..




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hotel California

I was dropping off S for one of her meetings. The conversation meandered into how some of our volunteer friends were talking about me leaving IYC. S was observing that we would have never got married if I was not a Isha teacher at that time. She also observed how my deciding to move to Blore was kind of thrust upon her. It was a fair observation yet painful for me to hear it. At some point, I felt the need to justify/explain/clarify that i am a seeker. Still a seeker. After I said it, I felt a moment of pause within me. Am I a seeker? I felt embarrassed that I have to claim me being a seeker in so many words. Am I really a seeker? What does being a seeker mean? Does it mean that I should be living in an ashram? Does it mean that I need to work 100% and more towards a larger-than-life goal? Does it mean that I am checking out of "Hotel California" ? i.e. I am done with the world and ready for something else? Does it mean to live a constant affirmation that I may not know every

Shringeri

You are my baby sister that I never had. You are my daughter that I will never father.. You are my mother that I had lost forever… Let the throes of my folly remind.. Let the rapture of your embrace sustain… The scheming vagabond that I am, For all my incessant intellection, You are the perfect foil…                      The cool breeze that sweetens the long toil.               How did you smite me? I know not. The unruly curls of your tresses – a part of your plot? What happens now… Now that I have decided to partake in this little game? Your bewitching mane.. Will I ever tame? How long will I be absorbed in the uncharted crevices of your body? Comfortably numb, Will I fall on my face? Let the throes of my folly remind..                                   Let the rapture of your embrace sustain… -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting married tomorrow. It is happening finally. It

Himalayan Memoirs: Anbe Sivam

Prelude:  The following was written almost 5 months into my self-imposed exile. It was written while I was staying in an ashram in a small village called Ganeshpur somewhere in the upper reaches of Tehri Garhwal . I spent my time working in the kitchen as a self-appointed cook. ------------------------------------------------------------------ It was a rare moment. Rare indeed is a moment when you clearly realize that you have lost it. It was almost 5 months since I have been off the grid. The first 4 months were really good. I had fun. I had very little money and hence for the first time in my life, I am constantly thinking about money and rationing it. But I liked it as a novelty. Physically also, it was very difficult but I liked to push myself more and more. But most importantly, my sadhana was really good. I meditated like never before. But a variety of circumstances made me impatient and eventually pissed me off. I was no longer fine with just living not knowing wh